Since 1981, our independent nonprofit organization has provided comprehensive, wrap-around services for victims of child abuse, domestic violence and sexual assault. LACASA Center, which is located in Howell, Michigan, is a mission-driven agency committed to providing victims and survivors with compassionate and confidential services that help them heal and rebuild their lives.
POSITION OVERVIEW: We currently seek a Development Specialist who will handle a variety of responsibilities related to managing institutional and individual giving. This full-time/exempt position reports to the Chief Development Officer. As the chosen candidate, you will support relationship-building with current and prospective donors. You will assist with the agency’s solicitation and stewardship cycles and research ways to attract and secure additional funding. This position involves managing time-sensitive information and requires full confidentiality related to campaigns, donors, sponsors and clients. Familiarity with a variety of the development field’s concepts, practices and procedures is highly desirable. Effective communication skills—both written and verbal—are necessary to speak with stakeholders via phone and email, ensuring that all actions are completed accurately and delivered with the highest of quality. In addition, you may direct and lead the work of others. This position relies on experience, creativity and judgment to plan and accomplish immediate and long-range goals.
QUALIFICATIONS: We require a Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, public policy, communications, business, or a closely related field. A minimum of five years in an office environment attuned to customer/donor service is essential. Previous nonprofit experience is an asset. Excellent analytical skills and professional judgment, with the ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality, are a must. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, donor database management, financial reporting, and management processes are required. The ideal candidate will have a professional demeanor, patience and problem-solving skills. A valid driver’s license is required.
- Participate in activities related to any capital or special development campaigns
- Respond to member queries and approach benefactors for appeals, consistent with departmental strategic plan
- Serve as a staff member on the agency’s Fund Development Committee; attend monthly meetings and generate action-oriented meeting notes related to fundraising and campaign(s)
- Receive and document philanthropic requests, pledges and contributions (cash, pledges, matching gifts, sponsorships and planned gifts)
- Acknowledge gifts in a timely manner, consistent with gift receipting requirements; coordinate with special events department and CDO for effective acknowledgement strategies
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with donors, sponsors and potential donors, identify potential for major giving
- Manage, update and maintain a clean donor database, to ensure data integrity and effective informational management
- Conduct research, analyze data and complete reports on current or prospective donors for cultivation and solicitation
- Become active in the community through professional memberships and/or participating in appropriate organizations
- Collaborate with other agency departments, such as communications, event planning, client services, and the agency’s resale boutique, the LACASA Collection
- Assist in securing/tracking departmental expenses to support budget process
- Assist with list preparation and the writing/editing of appeals, acknowledgments, reports, and proposals/grants, as necessary; prepare materials such as invitations, solicitations and newsletters
- Adhere to guidelines and expectations as outlined during the staff orientation, and in the Employee Handbook: Agency Policies and Procedures
- Maintain a safe environment for staff, clients and the community
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter via mail, email or fax to:
2895 W. Grand River Ave.
Howell, MI 48843
Phone: (517) 548-1350
Fax: (517) 548-3034