At LACASA, the spirit of diversity and inclusion are encouraged and infused into everything we engage in; activities, behaviors and communications inside and outside the walls of LACASA. From the educational programs we develop and the shelter we operate to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. LACASA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and workplace.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Helpline/Special Shift Advocate position is responsible for maintaining the helpline, general phone lines and text messaging system after business hours and on weekends and holidays. Additionally, this position interacts with shelter residents, facilitates meeting their needs as they arise, and ensures the safety/security of the building. This position requires strong active listening and communication skills, demonstrated problem solving ability and above average organization and time management talents.
QUALIFICATIONS: Qualified candidates will be at least 18 years of age and possess either a high school diploma or GED equivalent. Experience working with an organization that provides services for victims of child abuse, domestic violence and/or sexual assault is preferred.
- Responds to incoming helplines, general phone lines and text messaging system
- Orients new shelter residents as needed
- Completes intake paperwork with shelter residents as needed
- Provides crisis intervention and support to shelter residents as needed
- Provides referrals and advocacy to help line callers and to residents
- Completes all documentation and record keeping duties as required
- Maintains shelter security; checks for locked windows and doors; responsible to arm and disarm the building alarm system at night
- Facilitates exit and evaluation forms and room check prior to shelter resident’s departure
- Completes daily communication log
- Communicates with clinical and advocacy program staff regarding shelter resident activities, relationships, and significant events
- Adheres to confidentiality policy as it relates to shelter residents, clients and all aspects of agency operations; records, reports, and discussions
- Behaves in a manner consistent with LACASA Philosophies, Standards of Conduct and LACASA Staff Handbook
- Attends and participates in all meetings as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Occasionally required to lift items weighing up to 15 pounds
Schedule: Actual scheduled hours vary based on need and availability, but include after-hours, weekends and/or holidays
Status: Non-Exempt Employee
Supervisor: Residential Services Supervisor
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, pregnancy status, ethnicity, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation and/or Veteran status.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter via mail, email or fax to:
2895 W. Grand River Ave.
Howell, MI 48843
Phone: (517) 548-1350
Fax: (517) 548-3034