Gifts of Stock or Securities
Appreciated securities or mutual fund shares that you’ve owned for more than one year are excellent charitable gifts.
Donating stock or securities offers you a number of benefits, and may result in 70% or more in tax savings, such as:
- A federal income charitable contribution tax deduction based on the stock’s fair market value on the date of the gift (up to 30% of your adjusted gross income or AGI) if the stock was owned for more than one year;
- Carryover of the deduction for up to five additional years, if the fair market value of the gift is more than 30% of your adjusted gross income or AGI; and
- Avoidance of capital gains tax that is due when you sell appreciated stock.
NOTE: If your stock has decreased in value, selling it and making a cash gift to LACASA can be beneficial in some cases. You may take a capital loss on federal taxes and still enjoy a charitable deduction up to 50% of your adjusted gross income.
How to Donate Stock
Each stock gift strengthens LACASA’s programs while providing tax benefits for supporters. Follow these brief instructions below to help you take advantage of this gift planning opportunity.
Stock held by a broker
- Either you or your broker needs to contact LACASA Chief Development Officer, Gerie Greenspan, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-517-548-1350 to receive transfer instructions to LACASA’s brokerage account with TD Ameritrade Clearing, Inc.
- LACASA will need the name of the stock and the number of shares being transferred. This ensures the gift is properly credited and acknowledged.
- All deliveries must include LACASA, and Bobette Schrandt, Pres/CEO.
- Give your broker the transfer instructions we will need to complete your stock gift to LACASA.
Stock certificate held by a supporter
- Contact Gerie Greenspan at email@example.com to inform LACASA you are making a gift of stock by certificate. We can provide more specific instructions.
How to Donate Other Securities
For additional information on donating mutual fund shares or other securities, please contact LACASA’s Development Department for details at 517-548-1350, ext. 2930.
Please inform us if your stock gift is eligible for an employer matching gift contribution.
NOTE: We recommend that donors consult their tax advisor or legal professional to discuss the benefits and/or restrictions related to their specific situation. We are available to answer questions or help arrange a planned gift to LACASA using the contact information above.